Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree

Subject: Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 19:24:04 MDT

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Patrick Callahan wrote:

> I haven't tried the benh kernel. I'm testing the claim that 2.4.7 is Mac
> Compatible by
>
> o getting the sources from
> ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.7.tar.gz
>
> o Copying the configuration that came with YellowDogLinux 2.2.19
>
> using cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.19
> make menuconfig
> save as a file in /usr/src
> cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.7
> make menuconfig
> restore from the saved menuconfig file

I think that isn't a good idea. There may be changes to the .config file
format (dependencies, new things added, things removed) between 2.2 and
2.4.

I'm not sure about this, but it just seems dodgy. Particularly between
major revisions.

If it works, you've proved it works. If it doesn't, you've proved nothing.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net