Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Bryn Hughes (linux@demian.shacknet.nu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 14:33:46 MDT

In my particular setup I just happened to have a couple extra Macs to
take on this task...

One advantage to running YDL on Macs as opposed to Red Hat (or any
other distro) on PCs is the same reason the MacOS tends to be more
'consistent' with hardware than Windows... (Almost) every Mac has
been built by Apple, so there's fewer unknowns. You have a
reasonably good idea about what is in your particular box as far as
video, disk bus controllers, ethernet, etc. which tends to vary much
more on the PC side. It's easier to have a stable system when you
know that your Mac is going to be close to the same as someone else's
Mac... True they're not all 100% by any means, but take two random
clone PCs and see what you end up with. Who-knows-what BIOS with a
somethingorother ATA controller, coupled to a sound card that's a
'Sound Blaster Compatible' with everything but the drivers... Fewer
possible hardware configurations means easier setup/upgrading, and a
better chance that your particular piece of hardware is going to have
a new driver written for it.

Bryn