Re: rpm to remove packages

Subject: Re: rpm to remove packages
From: Neil Jolly (neil@jollycom.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 19:14:32 MDT

On June 22, 2001 08:13 am, you wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2001 06:01:34 -0700, Bob_Fermin@averydennison.com wrote:
> > Has anyone attempted to use
> >
> > rpm -e <packagename>
> >
> > to remove a package? I know the package is installed. When I use the
> > previous command I'm promptly told that the package is not installed. If
> > I attempt to install the package Im told that it is already installed. I
> > rebuilt the database ... no change. Any suggestions?
>
> Yes.
>
> Short answer:
> type the correct name of the package.
>
> Long answer:
> To determine the correct name of the package run the following command
>
> "rpm -qa | grep <part-of-package-name-here>"
>
> Once you get a response from the previous command, type
>
> "rpm -e <package-name-from-previous-command>"
>
> Jamin W. Collins

Or for even more entertainment try:
"rpm -qa | grep <part-of-package-name-here>"

Once that yields the desired list of programs to remove, then run:

rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep <part-of-package-name-here>`

and all the desired programs will be uninstalled or you'll at least get a
list of dependancies to wrestle with. Not e that the above command uses --> `
not --> '

Neil