RE: NICs recommendations

Subject: RE: NICs recommendations
From: Isak Lyberth (ily@serv01.vejlehs.dk)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 05:34:20 MDT

Get what you need:
If you need advanced features like Wake on LAN (WOL), Preboot Executable
Environment (PXE) and other great features, I sugest that you get NICs that
support those features.
If you need great waranties and service deals, look for nics that has that.
And i can tell you that it is not nessesarily the big ones (Intel/3Com) that
run with the best services here.
If it is just speed you need buy any nic that supports 100 or even 1000
Mbps. But determine you needs realisticly, because in an ordinary office or
network you wouldn't feel any difference weather you use one nic or another.
Whats important is to shut down unimportant network services, like if you
have a WINS server on your network, then shut down the Computer Browser
service on you workstations (supposing that you are using Windows on the
workstations). If possible shut up the AppleTalk protocol since that one
really sucks up bandwidth, i mean if this one could suck up dust like it
does bandwidth, Hoover would be greatly threatened. I am not saying this to
start a flame war, and i know that NetBIOS/NetBEUI also sucks, but if you do
the what i mentioned above you greatly reduce the sucking.
I use Intel 100 Pro and d-link something something where i work and have
absolutly no problems at all. On my labtop i use a no name pcmcia nic with
no problems eather (actually it was detected during install, and my Win2K
have to be told to use a National Semiconductor NE2000 compliant device,
after installaion).
Buttom line:
The nic you mentioned is a very good choice because it is greatly supported
in the community, but so are many others. Unless you are transporting
ENORMOUS amounts of data constantly, these small differences in NICs
performances doesn't matter.

Regards

Isak