Re: FAQ fodder: TCP/IP setting in MacOS

Subject: Re: FAQ fodder: TCP/IP setting in MacOS
From: Takashi Oe (toe@unlserve.unl.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 13:00:09 MDT

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:45:32 -0500, Walls, Bryan wrote:

> I was going batty trying to figure out why I could communicate from my new
> YDL 2.0 installation on an 8600. All the routing and ifconfig info looked
> right. The ethernet cord was plugged in, and let up on the other end. I
> could ping myself but nobody else. The IP and routing info was correct, and
> they even came from DHCP.
>
> So I booted in MacOS and tried Whatroute. Couldn't ping from there, either!
> Checked TCP/IP panel, and it was set to "Use MacIP". For some reason.
> Changed to Ethernet. Could ping from Whatroute. Rebooted to Linux. Networked
> fine!
>
> Was that actually the problem in YDL? Does the following make sense?

Perhaps, yes, no.

I had a similar experience in that DHCP seems to be working
correctly and, yet, packets not really going through. When I
looked at ifconfig output, there were many dropped packet on RX
side. IIRC, pump was taking up a lot of CPU time in top. So, I
dropped DHCP, and the problem was solved. So, I presume it will
work if you do "rpm -e pump" as well.

FYI, machine is 7300 with MACE contoroller hooked up to 10BaseT.

Takashi Oe