Re: linuxconf/kerneld

Subject: Re: linuxconf/kerneld
From: Robert Vogt IV (vogt@arborhost.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 19:57:20 MST

    Ulrik,

> Regarding the discussion about "eth0 problems and linuxconf". Since
> upgrading to kernel 2.2.18 it seems that linuxconf stopped working at
> all. Everytime i use it i get "unable to locate kerneld" (or
> something very similar) I tried installing kerneld again from
> modutils RPM but it still does not work. I saw on linuxppc-user that
> kerneld have been replaced by Kmod. Does this mean that linuxconf is
> history? It's a handy tool for a newbie....
    IMHO, linuxconf is a piece of ****. :) It has a nasty habit of screwing
things up royally, so I would recommend deleting it ASAP. A _MUCH_ better
tool is WebMin - http://www.webmin.com/ (for YDL select MkLinux DR3 for OS
Type) - it actually works and is great for maintaining an entire system w/o
any Linux knowledge (if that's your style), while providing a useful admin
tool for advanced users.

    Well, I hope this helps.

                            Sincerely,

                            Robert Vogt IV