Re: Getting Linux to re-read /etc/group data

Subject: Re: Getting Linux to re-read /etc/group data
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 19:12:30 MST

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Robert Vogt IV wrote:
>
>> Umm... what if the user that is getting the permissions is the web
>> server? (user Apache) Do I have to stop and start the process, instead of
> > just sending a HUP signal?
>
> You probably have to stop and restart.
>
> - Paul

if you've installed the startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d then just do a

/etc/rd.c/init.d/httpd -restart

But you shouldn't even have to do that, I'm surprised you actually
have to do anything. The group file should be read automatically as
needed AFAIK. Of course I could be wrong, but if restarting the
webserver doesn't fix it then your problem lies elsewhere.

Sending it a HUP signal should work just as well, but it's easier to
do the other, since it finds the right process and kills the child
processes etc for you, and what's better, you don't get any downtime.

I'm assuming you have a public site and care about thses things of course!

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall
pete@surfaceeffect.com - http://www.surfaceeffect.com/