Re: Install YDL 2.1 on ibook600 CDRW/DVD No CDROM found

Subject: Re: Install YDL 2.1 on ibook600 CDRW/DVD No CDROM found
From: Evan Robinson (erobinson@starband.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 22:19:34 MST

I had this problem on a Powerbook pismo. It was fixed when I made a
CD-R (RW?, I can't remember) copy of the install disk and installed
from that.

        Evan

At 10:05 PM -0500 on 2002.03.01, John Brier wrote about "Install YDL
2.1 on ibook600 CDRW/DVD No CDROM found":
>I have tried to install YDL 2.1 on my brand new ibook 600 CDRW/DVD
>(Sony CRX 800E) I followed the instructions from the support section
>of the YDL site. I split my hard drive into two equal sections the
>first is unallocated space( for linux) and the second is for Mac OS
>X. When the installer gets to the part where it checks for the CDROM
>it says something like: no CDROM found! Well this URL:
>http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/ibook.shtml
>from YDL tells how to fix this problem, but it doesn't work! Here is
>what that URL says incase you don't want to open a browser:
>
>YDL 2.1 may require text-based* install: use "install
>video=aty128fb:vmode:14" at yaboot prompt.
>
>If the installer cannot see your CD-ROM, "Keith E. Laidig" offers,
>based upon the General Mailing list:
>Start the installation - only 'install-text' works. Go until you get
>to the 'Default/Custom' installation page, then switch to the second
>virtual console (hold down 'option' & 'control' & 'fn' - in that
>order - and then hit 'F2'). You'll see the BusyBox> prompt. Now, type
>
>echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media
>... which will change the value from 1 to 0 (you can cat the file to
>make sure). Now switch back to the first virtual console, 'option' &
>'control' & 'fn' then 'F1'. You will be able to continue on and pick
>the Media, etc..
>
>Well I can get to the console just fine but the command doesn't
>work. I was looking around while at the console and there is NOT a
>cdrom directory under /proc/sys/dev/ ! so i that won't work. I have
>tried almost all of the install modes including text. Does anyone
>know what to do here?
>

>John Brier
>http://john1.homeip.net

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand
by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the
degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic
to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is
unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency
or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either
event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the
president or anyone else.
  -- Theodore Roosevelt