Really Bad Crash

Subject: Really Bad Crash
From: David Chart (linux@dchart.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 14:50:52 MST

My Linux installation seems to have died.

Shortly after start-up, even if I do nothing, I get the following message:

Machine check in kernel mode.
Caused by (from SRR1=41030): Transfer error ack signal

At that point, all input devices are dead, which means I have to do a hard
reboot, which does the root filesystem no good at all.

Any suggestions that *won't* involve reinstalling my root partition
welcome. (I can reinstall if necessary -- home is on a separate partition
-- but it would be annoying.)

Thanks.

David Chart