PERL problem....

Subject: PERL problem....
From: sfalken (sfalken@citlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 21:38:30 MST

Yes, I know this isn't a PERL mailing list, but I figure at least ONE of you
out there is good with perl =] Anyway, here's my problem.

I'm working on a little shell script to talk all the mp3's in a
directory,which presently are formatted as thus:

Artist\ Name\ -\ Name\ of\ Song.mp3

In order for the MacOS machines on the LAN to see my mp3's, I need to strip:

Artist\ Name\ -\

from the filename (get it under 31 characters). I've got the script doing
that, but when I tel the script to mv $oldname $newname it's bitching
because of the whitespace, is there anyway to strip all of the spaces out of
the filenames before I start moving them about? or is there another way to
manipulate the filename that I'm missing?

                        --Shawn