Re: File Indexing

Subject: Re: File Indexing
From: mike cullerton (yellowdog@cullerton.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 08:40:23 MST

--On Wednesday, March 13, 2002 4:34 PM +0100 Olivier Reisch
<ydl@karasuma.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 March 2002 16:25, you wrote:

>> I've noticed the hard drive thrashing about sometimes for long
>> periods of time (greater than 30 seconds), but it doesn't appear
>> to be using the swap at all. This can happen when I'm not doing
>> much of anything.

> The disk activity you notice is most probably due to the locatedb being
> updated. This databases does a sort of file indexing which will allow you
> to quicky find files by typing "locate filename" where filename is a
> part of the name or path of the file you are looking for.

that's the first thing that came to my mind. but, doesn't updatedb only run
like once a day or something. i remember an old linux box i had with a loud
drive that woke me up every morning at 1am when updatedb started

:)
mike

 -- mike cullerton yellowdog at cullerton dot com