Re: Screen resolutions (now Xconfigurator and auto-testing)

Subject: Re: Screen resolutions (now Xconfigurator and auto-testing)
From: Eric D. (liriodendron@mac.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 16:44:36 MST

on 17/3/02 15:27, Iain Stevenson at iain@iainstevenson.com wrote:

> It's a good idea to test X in runlevel 3 - text console, multi-user - which
> you get to via "init 3".

To follow up my initial question:

What is "init 3" (is "init" a command?)? And, secondly, what is a
"multi-user" text console. Do you log in to root and type "init 3" to get to
this multi-user text console or is root already the multi-user text console?

> It's also a good idea to make sure that you can telnet (bad idea in
> general) or ssh to your server before tinkering with X. That way if it
> locks, you can connect over the network and issue a "killall X" as a last
> resort.

Telnet:
Ok, how can you telnet into your machine (I know how to use telnet (from
Winblows 95 (my only option) - I know my IP address/domain name (long, but
easy to remember))?

Is telnet access to YDL turned on by default in the YDL 2.1 install (I
presume no as it would be a security hole)? (ssh would be useless for me as
I've never had to deal with whatever it is and I doubt I could find another
computer around here with it... is it a secure form of telnet?).

My solution to a freeze is to use a sledge, command-control-power ;) Nothing
so fancy as a remote login through a telnet.

KillAll:
So, can killall X be run from a root login to kill the X-Server (in
ctrl-alt-F7 session)?

Eric.