Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 20:46:23 MST

On Monday 18 March 2002 09:11 pm, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> IBM's UltraStar line is SCSI -- the IDE line is called "DeskStar".  I
> don't know where you got the idea that Apple uses cheaper drives than
> that, since Apple frequently does select IBM as a source for disks,
> both IDE and SCSI, and does perform qualification testing before
> committing to shipping any given disk drive in their products.  (As
> does any large computer company, to at least some extent.)
http://generalnanosystems.com/hardware/ide_hard_drives2.htm

Hmm - i own two of them at present - they all say "ultrastar on them"
remember i noted that i put an ATTO SCSI card in it - after I built it.
Generalnano no longer has them in stock - only cheetahs now, so I didn't list
them.

But... I also have 4 Deckstars - and they are doing just fine - two have been
up since August 2001 non stop, they have only been rebooted to add memory to
that box once, and a CD-ROM to it another time.

>BTW, right now I would stay away from IBM drives. IBM recommends
>operating its current 120GXP family (7200 RPM IDE disks ranging from
>20 to 120 GB) no more than 333 power on hours per month (it's in the
>spec sheet!).

that was posted on /. a while back - but those aren't these drives - please
see this link - http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/desk/ds60gxp.htm instead.

:-)

--
 Robert Brandtjen