RE: Installing YDL on Performa 61xx (was "RE: PowerPC 6100 Series")

Subject: RE: Installing YDL on Performa 61xx (was "RE: PowerPC 6100 Series")
From: Pete Peters (ppeters914@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:48:52 MST

You're correct as far as basic processor. I guess it's my tech support anal
retentiveness, i.e. I like the customer to be a little more discriptive than
"the car is broke." <g>

That said, the Performas were designed and marketed as low-cost (aka
low-end) all-in-one solutions. As such, they generally had inferior/lower
capacity components; limited, if any, upgrade paths; and limited features.
There's also something that makes a Performa a Performa rather than a
regular Power Mac that generally makes installing a Linux distro pure hell.
True, some people like yourself have been successful. However, IMHO, you'd
be better off w/ an old Intel 486 (yeah, yeah, save your flames) running an
older RedHat or Slackware distro (all of which are usually free) than
banging your head against the wall w/ a Performa.

Pete