Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?

Subject: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 23:07:52 MST

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 10:30 pm, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> The Mac upgrade companies must overcome that same heat problem, in
> addition to power supply problems, bus voltage level differences, and
> possibly bus protocol incompatabilities with older Mac bridge chips.
> I have experience designing PowerPC embedded computers, I've looked
> into the issues on a casual basis (out of curiosity), and these are
> real engineering problems which may make it very difficult to pull
> off 7450 upgrades for any system design older than Apple's Sawtooth
> (G4 AGP) motherboard.

two problems with all of that Tim - 1) you can't upgrade an Apple G4 - no
chips to upgrade with - they could certainly stand the heat - a simple
heatsink and fan would do the trick. There aren't any available for upgrades
- i.e. want a faster Mac, buy a new box. there is no earthly reason why you
shouldn't be able to buy a faster cpu for early G4's except the market is
frozen at 500 mhz - the only machines that want those are pci/604 series
macs.

2) Speed bumbs were out there up until Apple was having trouble competing
against the likes of xlr8 and powerlogix - suddenly, they couldn't/wouldn't
sell them any higher then 500 mhz - even though power logix announced a 1 ghz
long time back - never appeared. same happend to their announced dual
processor setup , they announced it months before Apple had one available,
then it never showed up.

as far as the IBM 1 ghz chip goes, It was announced on all the mac sites at
the time - while it may not have been a full chip - it was a working
prototype - I distincly remember reading their own white papers on it and
their prediction that the 1 ghz ppc chip would be out by early 2000 as a
production chip - in fact, byte magazine (print version)predicted they would
beat Intel by a year or more to the 1 ghz barrier. the promise of the PPC
chip died with the falling out after Jobs canned IBM and the clones. while i
can understand his need to kill clones, I could never understand his need to
piss IBM off. Common sense dictates you go with the company that actually
builds a computer that uses them.

--
 Robert Brandtjen