Re: Newbie Question: Excuse the Diversion!!

Subject: Re: Newbie Question: Excuse the Diversion!!
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 21:39:21 MST

At 1:09 PM +1100 3/24/02, Richard Jenkins wrote:
>My /apple partition is apparent at /dev/hda9. However it is marked as "full"
>so I cannot write to it! Also I cannot read from it ... except a small list
>of files in the root directory of /dev/hda9. None of the directories in the
>apple partition can be found.
>
>What have I done wrong?

You're trying to mount a HFS+ partition, right? You can't do that.
The linux kernel HFS driver only supports classic HFS, not HFS+.
(And is buggy besides -- I don't recommend that anybody use it.)

What you've mounted is the wrapper. Because older Macs with older
operating systems might try to mount a HFS+ filesystem and fail,
Apple decided to encapsulate all HFS+ partitions created by their
tools inside a "wrapper", which is just a standard old HFS filesystem
with only a few files on it. One of them should be a text file
called "Where have all my files gone?" or something like that,
containing an explanation of the situation.

>How do I go about fixing it?

You won't be able to mount that partition in Linux, sorry. Linux
support for HFS+ is simply not all there yet.

If all you need to do is read files from it, use hfsplusutils. It's
a series of commands which doesn't ask the kernel to mount a
partition but instead manipulates it directly. The tools are
hpmount, hpumount, hpcd, hpls, hpcopy, and hppwd. (The mount and
unmount tools don't really do anything except write a file somewhere
in the system which subsequent commands use to determine what
partition to operate on.)

hfsplusutils is young so it is currently read-only.

If you reformat the partition within MacOS as a plain HFS partition,
you will be able to mount it directly in Linux (not recommended by me
due to the bugginess mentioned above). Alternatively, you can use
the hfsutils package. It works on the same principles as
hfsplusutils but is mature enough to support creating, writing, and
deleting files.

Finally, if you really REALLY need the ability to read and write
files on a HFS+ partition while in Linux, you will have to run
Mac-On-Linux and use the MacOS session to read and write files. It's
possible to set things up where you have a Netatalk (AppleShare IP)
server running on Linux so that the virtual Mac can mount a Linux
directory as if it was a server on a network. Then it can copy files
between that directory and whatever HFS+ partitions you've allowed
MOL to see.

--
Tim Seufert