Re: Netatalk & OSX Compatability Problems

Subject: Re: Netatalk & OSX Compatability Problems
From: Neil Jolly (neil@jollycom.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 20:01:20 MST

On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 19:00, Eric D. wrote:
> on 26/3/02 09:46, Michael Graham at mgraham@kiron-design.com wrote:
>
> > I'm currently running YDL 2.1 with netatalk-1.5pre2-6b.ppc.rpm. With my OS9
> > clients, no problems. However, when I try to connect with my OSX clients it
> > fails. I can connect, login, select a share but, when I try and mount the
> > share this is the following error:
> >
> > "The file server 'LinuxServer' connection has unexpectedly closed down."
> <snip>
> > Now the following line is the indicator of what the problem is but I have no
> > idea how to solve the issue.
> > [ Mar 26 00:16:27 kiron-design afpd[21184]: dsi_stream_read(0): No such file
> > or directory ]
> >
> > Anyone with this problem, or have ideas on how to fix???

I finally got a chance to get netatalk working with OS X on my network.
I used netatalk-1.5.1.1-1. As has been previously mentioned on the list
add a login announcement (although I never bothered to try mine
without). Also make sure that you have allowed connections via tcp in
/etc/hosts.allow, and are accepting connections over tcp in your atalk
config files, since OS X only supports afp connections via tcp.

> Could it be based on the fact that OS X only supports the latest flavour of
> AppleTalk & netatalk might be (?) based on the older (unsupported) protocol?
> (I'm guessing here on many counts (most importantly that netatalk is
> AppleTalk)) I used to receive the same error with OS X when I try to login
> to an old version of AppleShare (Novell 3.1). Now (X 10.1.3) the error
> message is less cryptic and actually states that the server is running an
> incompatible version (damn, if only I could remember what exactly it is OS X
> no longer supports (pre OT (Classic?) AppleTalk?)).

OS X only supports afp connections over tcp not over appletalk. So if
you can login just fine with OS 9, but not OS X I'd suspect tcp problem.
If you like I can send you my config files.

--
Neil Jolly

(with Yoda-like voice) "Confrontation leads to anger... Anger leads to fear... Fear leads to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems... And this is how the ancients fell...