fdisk not working

Subject: fdisk not working
From: Josh Smith (irilyth@infersys.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 18:37:37 MDT

J> Now I get to fdisk (or pdisk) and set up my partitions and when I go to
J> write them it says "re-read of the partition table failed (device or
J> resource busy) Re boot the system to ensure the partition table is
J> updated" I quit and move on and the installer tells me that the drive
J> isn't set-up?!?!?!

When I run the installer on my iBook, I get the same effect. After trying a
couple of things, I found that this sequence worked for me: Run fdisk at the
usual time, edit the partition map, write the map, get the warning message,
quit from fdisk, reboot, and then run through the initial configuration up
the fdisk part, but this time just do "Done" at the Partition Disks dialog
box (rather than "fdisk"). On the following "Current Disk Partitions"
screen, all the partitions appear (the ones that I set up the first time
through). See if that does the trick for you...

                                      -Josh (irilyth@infersys.com)