Re: Xwindows Host problem

Subject: Re: Xwindows Host problem
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 10:53:14 MDT

I'm a little unclear on exactly what you want to do, but...

If what you want is to have X clients running on remote machines use the
X server on the machine in front of you for their display then:

-Start your X server;
-Open an xterm window;
-Authorize your intended remote machine to use your X server (see below);
-From the xterm window telnet to the remote machine;
-On the remote machine type "export DISPLAY=your_local_machine_name_or_ip_address
-On the remote machine start your X program

NOTE NOTE NOTE
There are a lot of security problems with the above if you are using ip
addresses that others can get to (i.e. you are not on a private
network). ssh is set up for secure remote X sessions, and there are
better ways to authorize remote access to your local X server than
"xhost", but I can't give you any advice on these since I don't use them.

It took me a little while to get used to the fact that the X _server_
runs on your local machine and "serves" your keyboard, screen and mouse
to assorted _clients_. Clients run on your machine and/or other
machines and receive input from the keyboard and mouse served up to them
by your server and display their output on one or more screens served up
to them by your local server.

--
Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com

- Western Union internal memo, 1876