Re: Kppp and Red Hat Dialer Problem

Subject: Re: Kppp and Red Hat Dialer Problem
From: Scott Parrish (parrisc@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 16:22:15 MDT

On Sun, 21 May 2000, you wrote:

> I have a problem with Kppp and the red hat dialer crashing on both my G4

I'm afraid I havent noticed your particular problem but I can tell you that I
mucked around with kppp for a few weeks before I decided I was never going to
get a good connection with it. It wouldnt dial.....it would dial and not get
the PAP right....it would get the PAP right and have a crappy
connection...&&...

I finally decided I was not going to get a good connection unless I configured
ppp manually. If you've never done this before it takes a couple of hours
including the time it takes to read the PPP HOWTO, but the HOWTO is good. My
setup worked on the first try. BTW, setting the mtu and mru in
/etc/ppp/options to appropriate levels (~500 for 56k) really improves ppp
performance.

You may be able to set up kppp to give you a good reliable connection every
time but the online documentation for it stinks and I got tired of fooling with
it.

Scott