Re: Newbie installation questions...

Subject: Re: Newbie installation questions...
From: Charles Stevenson (csteven@terraplex.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 08:44:53 MDT

On Mon, 29 May 2000, you wrote:
> on 5/29/00 12:10, Eric Fronberg at enf@cisco.com wrote:
I make a 32M partition with pdisk for the linux kernel and yaboot files to
reside on. In pdisk use 'C' to create the partition. For type you can use
Apple_HFS or Apple_Boot. I don't think MacOS reads the Apple_Boot partitions.

> Again, I'm a newbie and therefore I'm not sure 100% about this, but as far
> as I know firmware/drive size isn't an issue.

The drive size shouldn't matter.

> I don't think Linux can see HFS partition but I'm not sure. Good question

You can mount your hfs partitions just the same as mounting the cdrom. I make a
directory /mnt/hfs and then you simply 'mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hfs' where hda10
would be my HFS partition.

> anyway since I would like to know if there is a way to actually make my Mac
> OS see Linux partition and make Linux see Mac OS partition.

Well Linux can read and write to the HFS if you mount it. So you could save
any data you wanted to be able to see in MacOS on the MacOS partition instead
of the Linux partition which the current MacOS cannot read to my knowledge.

When I install on a fresh drive I slap a MacOS cdrom into the drive and use
drive utils to 'initialize' it. Then I restart and put the YDL cdrom into the
drive. I enter pdisk and delete the Apple_HFS partition that the MacOS drive
utils created and in turn create a 32M Apple_Boot partition with 'C' instead of
'c' which creates UNIX_SRV partitions. I setup my linux partitions and swap.
Reboot using the tasty morsels cd to boot the freshly installed linux. ('linux
root=/dev/hda10', where hda10 is my root partition). Once in linux I use
'hformat' to format the 32M partition as HFS. I mount the HFS partition as I
described previously. After mounting the HFS partition I copy the boot files,
kernel, etc.. from the install cd to the HFS partition (usually create a System
Folder, directory). Then I run 'hattrib -b' on the System Folder and 'hattrib
-t tbxi -c chrp yaboot.tbxi' thus making it bootable without entering OF.

In case anyone was interested :-)

Regards,
Charles Stevenson
Software Engineer