Re: Installing PHP, MySQL

Subject: Re: Installing PHP, MySQL
From: Kelly Nicklin (knicklin@ops.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 08:43:14 MDT

I'm new to this too, but I believe php will only work with files that have
a .php3 file extension, so you need to save the file with the php tags in
it as file.php3.

When I saved <? print "Hello World!<p>"; ?> as hello.php3 and opened it in
my browser, it displayed Hello World! I did the standard CS1.2
installation.

You could also check by entering "rpm -q php" at the system prompt. If you
did the standard CS1.2 install, it should print "php-3.0.14-3"
# rpm -q php
php-3.0.14-3
#

Trying to get php and MySQL to work together seems to be another matter
and I'm about to ask the list a question regarding that.

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Matt Gersting wrote:

> Hey all...
> I've installed YDL on my B&W G3, and everything would appear to be running
> fine (well, no sound, but that's not my biggest concern at the moment). The
> whole purpose of my deciding to learn Linux is so that I might also learn to
> use Apache, PHP, and MySQL. I am developing a web site combining these
> technologies.
>
> Anyway, Apache is up an running (I believe). They way I checked this was to
> run sbin/ifconfig eth0 to find my IP, and then plug that into the browser.
> It goes to the default page (home/httpd/html/default.html).
>
> I can also open default.html is a text editor, modify and save the document,
> reload my browser and see the changes.
>
> I know the YDL comes with PHP on the installer, and I believe I saw the
> installer do something with it as it installed. Unfortunately, when I test
> the PHP capabilites by placing a simple PHP tag in default.html and reload
> the page, the server doesn't interpret it.
>
> I've looked all through the list archives and on literally dozens of sites
> for help. I am totally new to Linux, but not an idiot, and even those
> so-called "newbie" sites assume WAAAAAY to much. Anyways, I'm looking for a
> little help.
>

> Thanks guys.
> Matt

Mr. Kelly Nicklin knicklin@ops.org
Web Development/Internet Support Voice 402/557-2514
Omaha Public Schools FAX 402/557-2509
3215 Cuming St.
Omaha, NE 68131