Installing YDL 1.2.1 on DualG4 500 tower

Subject: Installing YDL 1.2.1 on DualG4 500 tower
From: Victor Danilchenko (danilche@cs.umass.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 12:25:27 MST

        Hi,
        I've been struggling to do this one for a while. I have a
feeling that this question's been asked befiore, but a quick search
through recent couple of months' worth of list archives turned up
nothing relevant to my particular problem.

        I am trying to install YDL 1.2.1 on my brand-spankin'-new DualG4
500. The boot from the CD fails miserably: when I hold "C" down, I get
nothing but a gray screen for a few seconds instead of yaboot prompt,
after which point the CD tried to boot (when I shorten the waiting time
in yaboot.conf, the grey screen is replaced by the boot screen faster,
indicating that somewhere behind the said grey screen yaboot was sitting
waiting for input); the CD starts booting, but only displays the string
"booting" and then halts. I have verified the CD's quality on our local
iMacs, so a dud CD is not the problem.

        I have tried installing yaboot on a separate partition and
booting that way -- with the same result. Just for the hell of it, I
tried downloading a 2.2.15 kernel from LinuxPPC (as per their "booting
DualG4" document) -- that one actually starts booting (proving that the
yaboot configuration itself is valid), but exhibits the well-known
problem of failing to recognize the harddrive.

        As this point, I would be about to blame the problem on YDL's
kernels (I tried both the default 2.2.17 one and the beta SMP kernel in
/test, with equal lack of discernible progress) -- except that I
also can't help but wonder why yaboot never pops up the prompt, instead
giving me the grey screen.

        To recap:

1) yaboot never displays the prompt. Whether booting from the CD or from
   a hardrive yaboot installation, it just shows the grey screen instead
   of the p[rompt, and then (after timeout) starts booting the default
   image.

2) When the YDL-supplied kernels try to boot (either default or beta
   SMP), they only display a screen with what looks like a register
   list and the string "booting..." and do nothing after that.

        Does anyone know how I could cajole my otherwise-fantabulous Mac
to install YDL 1.2.1? Any help whatsoever would be much appreciated, as
would an e-mail CC.

--
|  Victor  Danilchenko  | Students nowadays, complaining they only get |
| danilche@cs.umass.edu | 10MBs of disk space! In my day we were lucky |