Ibook 2001 and YDL 2.1

Subject: Ibook 2001 and YDL 2.1
From: Lionel Bringuier (lb@fr.netcentrex.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 09:49:08 MST

Hi all.

I bought a brand new Ibook last saturday and tried a fresh install of
YDL 2.1.

First, I never had the chance to get to the GUI Installer. I stayed with
'ncurses' one. But that is none of a problem. The default kernel (2.4)
gave me the usual 'wrong media type' error when mounting the CDROM. So I
switched to the 2.2-based install kernel and the install process ran
(nearly) flawlessly.

The problem is that I cannot boot on Linux using yaboot. I can access my
installed system booting with the CDRom with "root=/dev/hda12", but
there is no way to install yaboot on my bootstrap partition. The system
seems to be messed up with my partitions, and I don't know how to check
them. Yabootconf complains that there is no mac-fdisk installed... I
cannot find it either ! There is 'fdisk' but it seems that it is the
Intel one, but no pdisk or whatever else.

When the system boot on my hard disk, I can see the "folder/?" icon
indicating that it cannot read the bootloader and it finds my macosX
partition. Does that mean that my bootstrap partition is correctly
set-up or not ? Can I format a bootstrap partition from a mkfs.XXX
command or must I run the MacOS Partition tool again ?

Thanks in advance.

LB.

PS : I'm a totally newbie at Apple harware and software (this is my
first Mac !), but I am a old-time Intel Linux user, so please excuse my
lack of precision here, and don't be afraid to point me to very
technical resources :)