Mac Performa 5400 and YDL2.1: Format hang - Help!

Subject: Mac Performa 5400 and YDL2.1: Format hang - Help!
From: Andy Hewitson (andyhewitson@bigpond.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 18:53:44 MST

Hi

I'm trying to get YDL2.1 working on a venerable Mac Performa 5400 (PCI,
120Mhz 603, 32Meg, 1.6 Gig, OS9). After repeated hangs during installation
at the hardware detection of the (SCSI) CDROM [mesh], I disconnected the CD
to see how much further I could get. The install now hangs at the point of
doing the hard drive format. The installer writes the partition information
correctly (because it's there when I reboot), but hangs (forever) when
trying to format the disk. I've reinstalled OS9 a few times and I have no
other trouble with the drive, so I don't think it's a hard disk issue.

Although the Performa / Power PC 5400 is on the compatibile list, I've got a
sneaky suspicion that I need to specify some extra kernel parameters to make
the darn thing work.

Thanks
Andy