Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1

Subject: Re: Ybin inst failure on B/W G3 Rev 1
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 15:41:07 MST

Patrick Ladam wrote:
> Could someone tell me what are his OF variables after a yaboot install,
> I have the impression that mine are not correctly set for some weird
> reasons. You can see that by booting the mac while maintaining
> ALT+APPLE+o+f pressed. Here you get in the OF prompt, simply type
> printenv and you will have your variables displayed. Once you are
> done, type mac-boot or shut-down.
>
> Here is what I get for the relevant OF variables:
>
> boot-command: mac-boot (my guess is it should be boot)

No, that's right. (it's mac-boot on my working B&W G3 setup)

> boot-file: none (my guess is it should be ofboot.b or yaboot)

It should be blank. boot-file isn't normally used unless you're
going to have OF try to read a kernel directly (I think).

> boot-device: /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/pci9004,7850@3/@0:8,\\:tbxi
>
> I tried a bunch of variations around boot-device (turn tbxi into yaboot
> for instance) with no succes. This is getting me mad!!!

Try:

/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/pci9004,7850@3/@0:8,ofboot.b

(it's a shot in the dark but it might work)

Also, what kind of SCSI card is it? Looks like it might be an
Adaptec 2930, but I think Adaptec might have used the 7850 chip with
the 2906 as well. If it's a 2906 (or other card with no firmware)
you can't boot from it.

--
Tim Seufert