Strange CD booting problem with 8500

Subject: Strange CD booting problem with 8500
From: Larry West (viggen@saabturbo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 09:18:20 MST

Hi!

I have a PowerMac 8500 set up with YDL 2.0 on an internal 9 Gig SCSI
drive. YDL has been OK for me so far. Had some issues with
installation & setup, but was able to work them out.

I just bought YDL 2.1, mostly so I can support my G4 with the Nvidia
G-force 2 video card. YDL on the 8500 will - eventually - be my web &
mail server at another location, so I want to have both installations
as similar as possible.

Which is why I've been trying to install YDL 2.1 over YDL 2.0 on the 8500...

However, I get nowhere. No amount of cajoling, pounding, changing of
settings, etc. will make the 8500 now boot to the CD!!! I hold the
'C' key down & it ignores me (and I get a string of 'C's in the boot
loader text box, so I know the keyboard is working). Not to the YDL
2.1 CD, not to the YDL 2.0 CD, not to a MacOS 9 CD!!!!

I've zapped the PRAM several times (yes, the battery has been
recently replaced), I've booted into the MacOS partition, and then
selected the CD (it mounts & shows itself in 'Startup Disk'), but
still it skips right on by and to the hard drive. Hard drive is at
SCSI 0, CD at SCSI 3. Also tried 'DOCS' to boot to another SCSI
device. Boots to the Jaz, but not to the CD...

Both CDs are good, as I did install 2.1 on the G4 tonight, and
previously installed 2.0 on the 8500...

I don't have anything that I need to save from the 2.0 installation,
so I'm just going to wipe it & replace it with the 2.1 installation.

One curious thing happened - After installing 2.0, the Penguin in the
upper left of the screen as the boot process runs was (or seemed to
be) holding a malt beverage. After trying to force the bootloader to
boot to the CD (by inserting 'CDROM in the '/dev/' text box, but it
didn't work), the Penguin looks different, and is no longer holding
the beverage, even when booting from the hard disk.

Strange...

--
Larry West
NJ Saab Owner's Club