Please help with X config on AGP 400MHz w/ Studio Display 17 CRT and Wallstreet2 pbg3

Subject: Please help with X config on AGP 400MHz w/ Studio Display 17 CRT and Wallstreet2 pbg3
From: Alfonso F. Agnew (aagnew@fullerton.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 18:37:07 MDT

Hi,

Short version: Would someone with a working XFConfig-4 config for an AGP
400MHz w/ Studio Display 17 CRT and/or Wallstreet2 pbg3 please email me a
copy? I am using a stock ydl2 setup.

Long version: I have tried very hard to get this taken care of myself, but
I still can't get the right X configuration for my cpus. I have ydl2
installed on both my cpus, Xconfigurator crashes, and Xautoconfig4 generates
faulty configs. I've even tried getting detailed specs from apple.com and
using a modeline generator. No luck!

With the AGP G4 w/ 17 CRT, I pass the kernel args
video=aty128fb:vmode:20
and I do get video (at 24 bit if I make a minor edit in the XFConfig-4
file). However, only 3/4 of the screen ends up used, and everything in the
picture is very small. I guess that it is using 1280x1024. I'd really like
to use 1024x768. But I can't get that to happen. Also, the video doesn't
seem to be accelerated, and when a window is moved across the screen, it
"tracers".

On my wallstreet2 pbg3, I pass the kernel args
video=atyfb:vmode:20,cmode:32
which worked like a charm when I had ydl1.2 on it. I get X, but it has
those shaky, blurry four vertical stripes that make it unusable.

I've been reading dozens and dozens of messages in the archives, and found
one that asked for the same exact help for an AGP G4, but there were no
replies to that person either on the list or personally.

Please help, and thank you in advance.

Alfonso Agnew