Re: Problems generating a raid0 device

Subject: Re: Problems generating a raid0 device
From: Barry Sparenborg (barrys@jorsm.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 19:05:47 MDT

on 10/22/2001 3:00 PM, Ken Schweigert at ken@byte-productions.com wrote:

> Alexander,
>
> I don't think modprobe is having a problem with loading your raid modules, at
> least not directly. It appears to be having problems loading your the modules
> for your actual block devices.
>
>> From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt :
>
> block-major-8 == 8 block SCSI disk devices (0-15)
> block-major-33 == 33 block Third IDE hard disk/CD-ROM interface
> block-major-34 == 34 block Fourth IDE hard disk/CD-ROM interface
> block-major-11 == 11 block SCSI CD-ROM devices
>
> You may have to specify these in your /etc/modules.conf file. Maybe :
> alias sdc sr_mod # load scsi cd-rom
>
> I've never done software-RAID, only hardware RAID and only on linux x86, but
> hopefully this sparks something you might've forgotten.
>
> Good luck,

Did you fdisk these disks in the correct manner? I can't remember how i did
it but I do remember that i did have some of the same problems until i got
the disks set-up correctly. Once i got the disks formatted correctly i set
my raidtab as follows:

raiddev /dev/md0
raid-level 0
nr-raid-disks 5
persistent-superblock 1
chunk-size 4k
device /dev/sdb1
raid-disk 0
device /dev/sdc1
raid-disk 1
device /dev/sdd1
raid-disk 2
device /dev/sde1
raid-disk 3
device /dev/sdf1
raid-disk 4

After that i did the makraid and has been working fine for a year now.

good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Barry

--
Barry Sparenborg