Re: Routing Question

Subject: Re: Routing Question
From: Barry Sparenborg (barrys@jorsm.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 17:54:45 MDT

on 10/25/01 8:57 AM, Dave Braford at braford@hanon-mckendry.com wrote:

> You disagree Bacil ?
> Just trying to see if I could save Barry some money.
> What I meant to say was I had no personal experience
> setting up PPoe on a Linux box. OH, I know about DSL.....
>
> I made some assumptions....
>
> "I just found out DSL is available in my area." says Barry.
> SDSL, ADSL, or IDSL. My guess is ADSL.
>
> DSL is NOT much faster than cable in any world. It depends on
> what bandwidth you purchase. You can MAYBE get 192k for the same price
> as cable and remember, Barry is most likely in a residential area.
> Are you Barry ?
> OH...that's a whopping 25k download limited to 14k upload.
> Bacil ????? What's wrong with my calculator ????
>
> I assume ADSL almost exclusively uses PPoe and most providers give you a
> device similar to a modem, not a router. That's where PPoe comes in.
> Boy I'd be great if Barry's provider gave him asn ADSL router to use.....
> Good point Bacil. I think you can get the Flowpoint routers on eBay cheap.
>
> Segway to next paragraph.....
>
> BTW - Regarding your first point:
> DSL not only sucks, the industry is shrinking like mad BECAUSE OF IT.
> What I've read and experienced attest to poor support,
> ignorant implementation in the CO's, and just plain poor circuit
> quality. Not to mention Ameritech's lack of cooperation.
> I don't have beat myself in the head with a hammer to
> know it's gonna hurt, do I ? I have friends and colleges I can learn
> (what not to do) from.
> There is a reason I have no personal experience with DSL, it sucks.
>
> Now SDSL....that's a whole different story. But I would bet Barry
> would not want to pay the premium price for that service. If he's close
> enough to the CO to qualify. Cable is MUCH faster, dollar for dollar.
>
> You know, I'll bet Barry knows all of the above info since he
> us obviously capable of some fairly advanced routing already.......
> Barry asked for HELPFUL hints, Bacil.
>

> Message in response to:
>
>> on 10/25/01 5:08 AM, Dave Braford <braford@hanon-mckendry.com> is purported
>> to have said:
>>
>>> I don't have personal exprience with DSL, because it sucks.
>>> Can't you get cable internet in you area ??? Cheaper.
>>> Just as fast in the long-run. Easier. No PPoe.
>>
>> 1) If you don't have any personal experience with it, you can't know whether
>> it sucks or not.
>> 2) I have used both Cable and DSL. DSL is much faster, average-over-time.
>> 3) I don't know about your setup, but my DSL setup does not involve PPPoe.
>> The DSL router gets its address from the providers DHCP pool, and my
>> computers are on a private subnet. I use NAT on the router, and filter
>> there. If your provider forces your computer to use DHCP, rather than the
>> router, poke around in the router a bit. If it's a Cisco, email me off-list
>> and I'll see if I can get you started.
>>
>> --
>> Bacil D. Warren, CNA
>> Lead Programmer, CEO
> [...]
I guess i must clarify a few things:

The service is ADSL and they tell me that there is no need for PPPoe, I get
a static IP address, I'm only going to be 937 feet from CO (line distance),
the cost is only $50.00 + my normal phone line whitch i can use while
surfing the net, no installation or equipment charges and I do live in a
residential area and cable modem service is not nor will it be in my
neighborhood for at least 2 years. So way I figure it, it's got to be
better than my dial-up line.
I would like to maintain my dial-up line to work, for the moment, since I
know very little about Linux PPPoe.

Back to my inital question:

Well its been 2 years now and i can finally get DSL in my area. I have been
using my Linux box (powermac 8500 and ydl champion server 1.2.1) as my
router, firewall and masq server sharing a dial-up connection with 4
comuters on my home network (works great but very SLOW!!!!!). I now want to
get DSL and also retain a PPP connection to my place of work. My question
is how to set up my routing table to use the DSL link as my default gateway
and how to route calls to my place of work through ppp0. I would assume
that i would point my works networking addresses that are 172.16.xxx.xxx
through ppp0 (i also want to bring this interface up on demand) and all
other through eth0 (my DSL interface). Is this the correct thinking. Any
helpfull hints. Can i masq 2 interfaces?

Thanks,

--
Barry Sparenborg