Re: Hot complaints about YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Hot complaints about YDL 2.1
From: Paul J. Lucas (pauljlucas@mac.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 21:29:56 MST

On 28 Oct 2001, Jake Feasel wrote:

> Note the "fairly."

        You probably could have fixed the few things to change "fairly"
        to "very" without having to do a complete upgrade.

> And I find that nuking and rebuilding keeps the entropy that is Linux
> Desktops from taking over.

        Perhaps YOUR desktop.

> I wrote:
> (When I am tweaking my X config, I make sure I am ssh'd into
> the machine so in case I completely lock up my console, I can
> still be on the machine to kill -9 processes or do a clean shut
> down if necessary.)
>
> Good Idea - except I didn't have networking, becuase the install didn't
> set up my airport.

        1. Ever hear of an ethernet cable?
        2. I suggested that under the assumption of upgrading X by
           itself without a full upgrade, back when you still had
           networking.

> I was under the impression that Terra soft did some PPC kernel hacking.
> Perhaps that's not true.

        If it's true, I'm not aware of it.

> I also thought that Terra soft made their business out of that 5% market
> share.

        Yes? So? What's got that to do with my point of the kernel
        authors not really caring about PPC?

> RPM doesn't exist (for PPC). So yes, I complied the source. By far not my
> biggest complaint. Is this to be expected of an end-user though?

        If "end Linux user" means somebody's grandmother, then no; but
        you seem sufficiently capable.

> True, but with such a new distro, modern packages should be bundled.

        Why should I get X, Y, and Z installed if I couldn't care less
        about them? I'd rather install what I want that spend time
        removing all the crap I don't.

> Note - Java doesn't even come standard.

        So? I couldn't care less about Java.

> The failure to install 2.4 and the hardware disfunctions (sound, airport,
> power management) are my biggest headache.

        Perhaps the YDL installer could do a better job of detecting
        hardware and giving warnings saying that "This kernel will not
        support X on this hardware," granted; but support itself comes
        from the kernel over which Terrasoft has little influence (my
        guess).

        - Paul