Re: Strange, man...just plain strange!

Subject: Re: Strange, man...just plain strange!
From: Stephen Prause (SPRAUSE@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 11:55:05 MST

I had some difficulties a few weeks ago and had to become
intimately familiar with yaboot. Dig a little deeper and read
and understand the ybin utilities. The man pages are
excellent. Your built kernels and links go into /boot. This
doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) a separate partition (nor
HFS). Just a subdirectory within /.

The 10MB boot partition created in the installer is never
mounted or accessed. Consider it a hidden boot loader partition
(and keep it that way). The ybin tool takes your yaboot.conf,
sanity checks it, then writes the necessary boot loaders and
parameters to this partition. Lastly it modifies some open
firmware NVRAM environment variables. Sometimes you have to
access the NVRAM directly from open firmware prompt (really
early NewWorld systems). You'll get a ybin warning when this
happens.

The YellowDog installer does all this yaboot config and ybin for
you, so I'm unsure of why you have to do this manually. Unless
you had difficulties or needed to add boot arguments to yaboot.
Best of luck.