startx on mac powerbook pismo

Subject: startx on mac powerbook pismo
From: Kevin J. Holland (hollandk@ULV.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 14:47:41 MDT

Hi folks,

I'm settling into the long drawn out process of installing yellow dog
linux champion server 1.2 on my mac powerbook pismo. I'm very new to
the list and linux. The commands, navigation techniques and
directories are confusing to me after 10 years under the mac
operating system, so bear with me if I don't understand some of the
most basic commands within linux.

I'm at the point where I can log in under root with my password,
everything loads fine, but when I type startx to run x windows I get
an error or it just doesn't work. I get a return that says config
file not found. I don't know what to do from here. System says I'm
using Xfree86 v3.3.6, do I update this? I don't even know how to
install a config file. Maybe that version is incompatible with my
hardware, but I don't know how to check this out. Thanks.

help is appreciated

Kevin J. Holland
hollandk@ulv.edu