Re: kanga eth0 in 2.4.4-1a

Subject: Re: kanga eth0 in 2.4.4-1a
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 16:00:26 MDT

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Jim McHale wrote:
>I got ydl 2.0 installed on a kanga (orig pb g3); However I running the
>2.4.4-1a kernel I get eth0 timeouts.
>The messages in the log show:
>kernel: NEDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

 Hrm, this doesn't make me feel good. I've been getting the eth0: transmit
timed out for quite some time on my central web server, especially at high
traffic points. With the 2.2.17 kernel, it meant that the machine would
disappear from the network until I restarted it. The 2.2.18 kernel solved
this somewhat. I still get the kernel message, but it doesn't kill the
network connection. I was hoping that with the 2.4 kernels this would go
away.

 I do have a G4 with a 2.4.7-pre6 kernel (test.mcgill.ca), and so far it
hasn't had the transmit timed out message, but it also isn't getting any
real traffic. So far it is about 95% CodeRed exploit attempts and the rest
are either netcraft surveys or script kiddies looking for other NT
bunglings.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada