Re: Kernel update

Subject: Re: Kernel update
From: ke Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 22:40:03 MDT

> How do I got about isntalling a kernel update?
>
> --Brian

Brian,

I would recommend getting kernel source for kernel 2.4.8 at:
http://www.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/kernel-2.4.8/kernel-source-2.4.8-0.4c.ppc.
rpm.
In console mode:
Install it by 'rpm -ivh kernel-source-2.4.8-0.4c.ppc.rpm'
Go to the new directory 'linux-2.4.8' and:
make menuconfig
make dep
make
make modules
make modules_install

It'll take a while...
Then:
In the dir. 'linux-2.4.8' you've now got two essential files: 'System.map'
and 'vmlinux' , rename 'vmlinux' to "yourkernel" and then copy these two
files (System.map , yourkernel )to /boot. If you run Bootx on an old world
Mac you must also copy the new kernel file to 'Linux Kernels' in your Mac
systemfolder. Choose the new kernel in Bootx and restart! If you have yaboot
check this forum for info on configuring yaboot.

Regards,

Aake