Re: XFree86 4.1 which kernel?

Subject: Re: XFree86 4.1 which kernel?
From: John Schmidt (jas@retriever.mech.utah.edu )
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 22:09:37 MDT

> > You can use 2.2.19.
> > Please read the README file in the XFree86 4.1
> > directory and report any bugs to me.
> >
> > I could use testing on some older video drivers
> > such as chipsfb, platinum, imstt, etc.
> >
> > If you want to try Radeon stuffs, you *will* need
> > the 2.4 kernel in that directory.
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> Dan,
>
> I finally downloaded all the files and am using the 2.2.19 kernel on
> a PowerTower Pro 200 with a 2MB ATI Mach64 card and single button adb
> mouse. I was previously using the 4.02 XFree that came with YDL 2.0
> and my single button mouse worked fine with 3 button mouse emulation.
> With the XFree86 4.1 upgrade, I noticed that my mouse no longer works
> after firing up KDE. I assume that my InputDevice Section of the
> Xfree config file is not quite right. Any suggestions on what the
> correct parameters need to be? I should note that this upgrade did
> fix 15 bit framebuffer support for me. The 4.02 version would have
> artifacts on the screen whenever I would move the mouse.
>
> The only issue I have now (other than a non-working mouse for the moment)
> (and this was also the case with XFree86 4.02) is a black band on the
> left side of the screen where any window disappears. What is strange is
> that K that appears on the upper top and left of the window is above the
> black band but does not disappear. I believe the black band is about 10
> pixels wide. One would think that my screen is not centered horizontally,
> but this is not the case. I was hoping that 4.1 would fix this. I should
> add that when I was using linuxppc Q4 and XFree 4.0.99 I never encountered
> this black band before. Any ideas on the black banding and how to eliminate
> it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Schmidt

Dan,

Actually to follow up to the above post, I have discovered that in my attempt
to get my mouse working more information about the above problems came to
light. Instead of starting up at init level 5 I was using init level 3
for my testing. I then discovered that my mouse started to work after
logging into X. I also discovered that the black band that I saw in KDE
was no longer there. I am 95% certain that after I upgraded to the new
XFree86 4.1 and I got into KDE, the black band was there. I certainly
remember my initial disappointment that the upgrade didn't fix it. I
then changed my init level back to 5 and logged back out, rebooted, and
my mouse problems came back. Fortunately the black band did not come back.
Just to make sure that my mouse was not a 1 shot affair, I changed my
init level back to 3 and logged out, rebooted and then got back into KDE
with a working mouse and no black band. So it seems that the graphical
login using KDM seemed to decomission my mouse, whereas startx did not.

I am not sure if I will go back to XFree86 4.0.2 and test if the black
band disappears using init level 3 and startx. For right now, I am
content that things are working as I would like and certainly can live
without the graphical login, although the engineer in me wonders why
it rendered my mouse useless and startx didn't.

John Schmidt