Re: Telnet to open ports

Subject: Re: Telnet to open ports
From: Nathan Buck (nathb@efn.org)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 01:28:52 MDT

Brian Watson wrote:

> I'm still having trouble trying to restrict access. I don't have telnet
> installed, but it is still possible for people to use telnet to access
> my smtp, pop3, and web servers. Whenever I try to set it to go through
> tcpwrappers, the service doesn't startup when I restart xinetd. How
> would I go about setting this up correctly? I don't want people to get
> in with telnet at all on any service port.
>
> --Brian

There is no way to disable an interactive connection verses a
programatic connection to something like smtp, pop3, or even httpd. Its
the way the services are designed.

Why exactly do you want to explicitly disallow interactive access to
those services? Theoretically if you were determined enough, you could
modify the source code of the serivces you wanted to modify to drop the
connection if they didnt' receive responses immediately, but of course
that's not very practical.