YDL on Blue G3 problems

Dan (deschust@syr.edu)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:11:01 -0500

Hi everyone

I just installed YDL on my Blue G3 and I have a couple questions. First, is
there any way to get YDL to use at least 16-bit color? I have to install w/
my mac in 8-bit and the installer only recognizes enough VRAM for an 8-bit
configuration. A Linux newbie, I did some research and found that vmode is
the program that controls the bit depth and resolution. Whenever I try to
change bit-depths and then start GNOME, the screen just blinks. In 8-bits,
GNOME is almost unusable because it looks so ugly. If it makes any
difference, my BootX kernel arguments are atyfb:vmode:17 -

Also, I can't, for the life of me, mount hfs partitions. With the
challenger kernels, I was getting an error about a wrong major or minor
number. I was not able to find any documentation on this however. I
followed the iMac instructions from LinuxPPC to the letter, setting
/exchange as my mount point and editing /etc/fstab. Now the error I get
says that the kernel does not recognize /dev/hda8 as a block device. I know
for a fact that hda8 is hfs, not hfs+ so I don't understand why it won't
work. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Celebrating Apple's 23rd year of going out of business