Installation troubles

Subject: Installation troubles
From: Gregory James Fortman (Halafax@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 17:17:08 MDT

Hello all.
    I'm having a little trouble getting yellowdog to boot after the the
install. I have pretty exotic (read: unsupported) hardware, so I was
expecting a few glitches. I'm sure I can work through them, but any
advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a powercomputing powercenter pro 240, with 128 megs of ram.
My linux os disk is a 4.5 gig seagate attached to an adaptec 2930B mac
pci narrow/fast scsi controller. Macos is loaded on a seperate 2.1 gig
ibm drive, also on the fast/narrow scsi. I also have an ati xclaim vr 4
meg pci driving my primary monitor (although it runs through a
villagetronic 3dfx card before connecting to the monitor), and a
secondary monitor running from the 2 meg onboard video (which I believe
is also some sort of ati chip set).
    The yellowdog installation goes very smoothly. My second monitor
only displays gibberish, but I don't know if linux supports multiple
monitors. This could well be normal behavior.
    When I try to boot into linux for the first time, 2 strange things
happen:
    #1- My primary monitor loses it's video signal completely. It just
sits dead. The second monitor continues to display only gibberish. The
xdisplay test during the install worked, so I'm not sure what the
problem here is.
    #2- If I boot without a video driver, the system complains that the
root partition requires an fsck. No big deal, except that the system
then won't accept the root password that I entered during the install.
Very strange, that. At that point, all I can do is hit control d and
watch the system shut down. I've run the install twice, with the exact
same results.

Thanks,
Fortman