Mail servers Re: Update Function In CS 1.1 Installer?

Subject: Mail servers Re: Update Function In CS 1.1 Installer?
From: John L Grantham (jgrantha@hannover.sgh-net.de)
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 00:56:27 MDT

On 20.8.99 1:21 am, Dan Burcaw at dburcaw@terraplex.com was inspired to
say:

>> One problem I noticed with the upgrade was that it puts stuff back on
>> the machine that I had pulled off, even after having done an "rpm -e"
>> to get rid of it, so that it should no longer be in the rpm database.
>> Imagine my chagrin to see sendwhale^H^H^H^H^Hmail back on my wife's G3
>> after upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1, because blowing away sendmail and
>> installing qmail is the first thing I do on any Unix box after getting
>> control of it. The installer also did nasties to my from-source perl
>> installation in /usr/local, because I had symlinks from
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5 to /usr/lib/perl5, etc., just in case there were
>> scripts lurking around that exepcted them in the "right" place. Is
>> there a way of make an upgrade behave a little better?

Just out of curiosity, since you mention it, what are the pros and cons
with sendmail vs. qmail? I'm pretty ignorant of the differences, since I
more or less mindlessly always use sendmail.

cya

John

---

John Grantham | Freelance Graphic and Web Designer | Dipl.-Designer (FH) | Homepage: http://surf.to/multimedia | MacLinux: http://www.maclinux.de/