Re: Powerbook150 Dumb Terminal

Subject: Re: Powerbook150 Dumb Terminal
From: Mark Fassler (fassler@frii.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 14:42:59 MDT

If you have a free modem or printer port on your G3, then you can easily
use your Powerbook as a dumb terminal.

- Add a line in your /etc/inittab file to put a tty on it's free port

- Hook a serial cable from the free port on the G3 to the printer port
   on the Powerbook.

- Use a terminal emulator on the Powerbook to access the serial tty

The line to add in /etc/inittab will look something like this:

S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT9600 vt100

(The "ttyS0" part decides which serial/printer port to use. I'm not sure
which is which.)

Then, as root, type: init q to tell init to reread the inittab file.
You can now run a dumb terminal off of that port.

Connect the Powerbook to the G3.

You will then need to run a terminal emulator of some kind on your
Powerbook. (This is where I get lost, I don't know MacOS or Mac software
very well.) I know that later versions of ClarisWorks came with a
terminal emulator. You can probably download a free/share-ware program
from download.com.

Tell the terminal emulator (on the Powerbook) to use the printer port, at
9600 baud (or whatever speed you've chosen in inittab), and that this is a
direct serial connection, not a modem. Oh, and tell it to use vt100
emulation, not ANSI.

--
Mark Fassler
fassler@frii.com

Adam Price wrote... > > My girlfriend has a Powerbook 150 which she has finally decided is too slow for > modern purposes, and has dropped it into my talons. I have seen on the 68klinux > page that the 150 will boot 68k linux, but the monitor and keyboard are as of > yet unsupported, which makes it a virtual dead-end. (I am not in the keyboard > driver writing business) > > I wonder if it would be possible to hook up the 150 to my G3 as a dumb > terminal for YDLChampion. For reference, the 150 has a printer port and a SCSI > port and nothing else. Would I need to buy an ethernet card? Any experience > with this sort of thing out there? Any other recommendations for things to do > with the 150? > > -Adam > >