Re: FTP throughput problems

Subject: Re: FTP throughput problems
From: Jon L. Gardner (jon@food.tamu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 21:26:38 MST

on 12/16/1999 12:09 PM, Jon Gardner at jon@food.tamu.edu wrote:

> I'm running YD on a StarMax 5000/275 with 128Mb RAM, and I'm getting
> extremely poor throughput with the proftpd daemon. A client on the local
> switched Fast Ethernet can only push about 500K per minute to the YD server.
> I've updated proftpd to the latest version to see if that would help, but it
> doesn't. Any ideas?

Well, the plot thickens. The drive to which I'm transferring data is a 50Gb
LVD U2W on an Adaptec card, and I hadn't restarted the box since formatting
& mounting the filesystem on that drive. After a restart, ftp clients were
able to transfer at appropriate speeds; however, now that it's been running
for several hours, the throughput speed is dropping off again. It's doing
about 6Mb/min at present, and it started out doing better than 90Mb/min.

Is there something in the kernel, or maybe in the driver for the Adaptec U2W
card, that would cause this sort of gradual degradation in I/O performance?

<><
Jon L. Gardner, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:jon@food.tamu.edu>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 409.458.1839 Fax 409.845.2157 ICQ 34792860
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>