X on a G3 All-In-One

Subject: X on a G3 All-In-One
From: Jake Stenger (jstenger@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:43:13 MST

hey all,
        sorry if this has been covered before, but of course, I happen
to be a
newbie at this. I have looked and looked all over the net for any
information that could help me, but i found nothing.

I have:
Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One (Beige)
128 Megs
2 Separate Hard disks both ATA
running Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.1

Nothing else out of the ordinary for this machine

My problem is:

Xconfigurator only allows me to select 8-bit, 800x600 video mode no
matter what kernel arguments i use or what i try to do. Not only that,
but the monitor doesn't show anything in a one inch border on the left
and bottom side of the screen, making it necessary to scroll around the
screen just to see the full desktop.

What i think is that i'm selecting the wrong monitor in Xconfigurator
(although i've tried all the Apple monitors, and most of the Custom
settings i could think of). I don't know!

if anyone has the same computer and has successfully configured X, i
would GREATLY appreciate hearing about your configuration experience,
and how exactly you got this computer to work.

Thanks!
Jake