Performa 6360 (maybe others?) and CD-R's

Subject: Performa 6360 (maybe others?) and CD-R's
From: root (pafessel@zaz.com.br)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 20:14:58 MST

        Hi, everybody.

        I've bought a Performa 6360 in an on-line auction here in Brazil, and I
was trying to install YDL in it. And I've had the very same problems
others were getting: I've got the ISO image, burned it to a (bunch of)
CD-R(s) to no avail. Nevertheless, the md5 checksums of the images were
correct, the CD's mounted gracefully and with correct permissions in
other Intel Linux boxen... Moreover, I've got to read them all in MacOS
(7.5.5), so I had serious doubts that there was something wrong both
with the CD-Rs, my CD-ROM drive, the images I've used to burn the CD-Rs
and the burning process itself.

        Now today I've bought a SMC PCI Ethernet adapter, one with the DEC21x4x
chipset. It was gracefully recognized by YDL and I've performed the
installation successfully (as you can check by the headers of this
message). With the box up, I've tried to mount the CD-Rs I've made and
I've noticed various problems: sometimes the directory didn't appeared
at all, sometimes the entries had their names corrupted, among many
other things. So, to upgrade the kernel I've mounted the "Tasty Morsels"
CD in my other Linux machine and installed kernel 2.2.12-2 right off
from the RPMS via NFS. I rebooted the machine and I've tried to mount
the CD locally (i.e., at the Macintosh), and for my surprise I could use
it without problems.

        So, I've copied the vmlinux from 2.2.12-2 to the "System Folder" in the
MacOS and I went thru the normal installation process. Voila'! The
CD-ROM started successfully the second stage install (exactly what it
couldn't do with 2.2.6), and the installation went alright thru the end.

        Conclusion: if the installation off your CD-Rom with a CD-R fails,
don't try to burn another CD. Instead, get a newer vmlinux, copy it to
the System Folder and try to do the installation again.

        Paulo Fessel