Re: Successful Sofware RAID on g4 Sawtooth

Subject: Re: Successful Sofware RAID on g4 Sawtooth
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 08:41:43 MST

There are two ways I do it:
-Mount your Mac volume in Linux with write permission
-Use MountX to mount your Linux partition when you're running MacOS

The first is real easy - look at the file /etc/fstab. Here's mine:

/dev/hda7 / ext2 defaults
1 1
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults
0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/macvol hfs defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy ext2 noauto
0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro
0 0
none /proc proc defaults
0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622
0 0

You should have a line like my /dev/hda5 line, but for /dev/hda4. ALSO
make sure you have a directory /mnt/macvol (you don't have to use this
name, btw). If this line is missing become root, put it in, then run
the command "mount -a", which should moount partitions in etc/fstab that
aren't already mounted. If this works then it will mount every time you boot.

If the above works then you can copy vmlinux (or any other file) to your
Mac partition!

I would also recommend getting MountX. With this you can have your
Linux partition show up (read-only by default) on your Mac desktop, and
you can copy files with regular Finder actions.

--
Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com

-- Henry Ford