Re: champion 1.1 7200/120 no install

Subject: Re: champion 1.1 7200/120 no install
From: Dennis Moser (aldus@angrek.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 20:14:58 MST

Sam,
Couple of comments here, since it is of immediate interest:

In the past week I have done no less than four install of YDL CS 1.1, on
both an 8500(was a 233, as of tonight it's a 445 G3 Dragon!!! Got my G3
card, oh yeah!) and on a 7200/75.

More specifics: the 7200 is 7200/75 144Mb/1.2Gb + 2.0Gb. The Linux is goes
on the 2Gb drive. I have installed CS 1.1 on this latter machine three
times: 1. From a CD I burned myself from the ISO image on line ( I then
used the same CD to install CS 1.1 on 8500 with a FULL install) 2. With an
FTP install (this WAS painfull!!!!!), and finally 3. from "official" YDL
CDs that just arrived this week from Terra. This last one went VERY
smoothly and has been stable since the install (http://gwagen.disas.org).
My disks didn't seemed to be reversed...(Source was Source and Install was
Install).

For what it's worth, the manual could stand to have a little bit of
explanation about the disk formatting and its implications later on in the
install. The first time you go through and use fdisk you have to back out
as far as you can and RESTART THE MAC so that your partitions will be
recognized. Can't tell you many times I didn't do that and it came back to
bite me later. If you aren't doing that, Sam, you might want to try. Can't
remember who pointed this little trick out to me, but I'm sharing here as
means of public thank-you. And it doesn't hurt to totally blow away the old
Linux partitions with fdisk when you go to install again. Just make sure to
back out and reboot.

Be sure and do ALL your Linux launching from the BootX AFTER the Mac OS has
finished loading. What with the Very Fine Video capabilities of the 7200, I
found this to be the most stable way to do it (Gosh, I can see what it's
doing! No blind typing!).

So why did I do three installs on this machine? Well, the first one had
some glitches that I couldn't account for, so I tried the second install
via ftp. That actually failed about mid way through, leaving me with a
"dead" drive (it wasn't really dead, just a half-installed,
Linux-partitioned useless drive!). Turns out that my CD drive was dying,
which caused the minor glitches in the first install. I pulled the drive,
pulled the Toshiba drive out of my external, put it in the 7200 and used
the newly-arrived CDs from Terra.

Now if I could only get X to run...8-)...thank heavens for webmin
(http://www.webmin.com)! I can telnet in and I can do web-based admin of
the box without X. Not totatlly convinced that I want to use X on the 7200
any way.

Hope this helps a little.

Dennis Moser

>Did you try the Source CD?
>Like I said, the labels may have been swapped.
>Also, are you sure no LinuxPPC cruft is on your system from a previous
>install.
{SNIP}
>> > If you bought the cds recently, verify which disk the install files are
>> > on. One of our recent cd batches had the cd labels reversed so the Source
>> > cd is actually the Install cd in that case.

mailto:aldus@angrek.com
"That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of the time"
--John Stuart Mill (1806-73)