Re: "segmentation fault (core dumped)"

JP Rosevear (jpr@arcavia.com)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:08:45 -0400

Evan wrote:

> If I run a KDE app from the command line and, after quitting mysteriously it
> tells me:
>
> "segmentation fault (core dumped)"
>
> what does this mean (sounds bad ;).
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Evan Read
>
> / / (_)__ __ ____ __
> / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / . . . t h e c h o i c e o f a
> /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ G N U g e n e r a t i o n . . .

Means there was a good 'ol memory access problem, many times caused by
dereferencing a null pointer. The kernel will then dump the core (the
processes' memory image), a hold over from the Un*x when it was possible
to look at the core and determine what went wrong - these days 10MB is a
fair bit more to look at than the 4k of yore.

What program was it?

-JP

JP Rosevear				jpr@arcavia.com
Arcavia Software Ltd.