Re: Window Managers

Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:12:38 -0400

>> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Erick Schmidt wrote:

>> Which window managers are available?

>From: Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terraplex.com>

> Icewm, Enlightenment, KWM (with KDE), AfterStep, Window Maker, fvwm and
> fvwm2.
>
> I think that's all of them :)

Well, you also forgot one of my favorite simple, bare bones window mangers,
TWM (thin window manger). I checked, that is also with Yellow Dog Linux
Champion Server 1.0.

Also, qvwm and fvmn95 compile with no problems, they are fast they look with
Windoze 9.x (gasp!). Also, mlwm compiles with no problems, and imitates
(kind of) the Mac OS 8.x look.

If you want to use the GNOME pager, you probably want a GNOME-savvy Window
Manger (so you can continue to use that), fvwm2gnome (basically fvwm with
gnome page support), IceWM (included with YDL), Enlightenment (of course),
WindowMaker (newer versions with the feature compiled in, like the one
included with YDL). Of course if you use Window Maker with GNOME, you
definetly want the GTK+ theme engine for gtk+ (it's fast and makes gtk+
widgets look like NeXTStep widgets). A pretty good site to find out about
GNOME savvy (and pro-gnome stuff) window mangers is
http://www.linuxrising.com/.

Of course check out themes.org to spruce up what ever WindowManger / desktop
you choose. They also have good collection of fonts, gtk+ themes, irc
clients and most importantly many icons (icons can make and break a nice
looking desktop).

I am right now using Enlightenment 0.15.5, without using the GNOME panel
with the Shiny Metal Scheme (the app launcher buttons are nice). I am
considering about going back KDE, but I haven't made a serious decision on
the that yet (desktop choices are a very personal subject, requiring a great
deal of thought).

When I am in a more conservative mood I typically prefer to use twm, since
it uses little memory / cpu. And then again many times I don't even run X.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net