Re: SSH Troubles

Subject: Re: SSH Troubles
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 19:50:44 MST

Herb,

Check your /var/log/secure and /var/log/messages logs for details.
SSH tends to be good about logging why its doing what it is.

> Hello!
>
> I must admit I love the install-ssh option. It's great. Anyway,
> here's the problem:
>
> I have a Performa 6360 with YDL. In fact, I have 3 of them right now
> as file servers. They all have SSH installed and were running fine. One
> day, one of them began to refuse all connections. It would say "Connection
> closed by foreign host".
>
> With the "-v" verbose flag on, it would give me all the correct
> local computer' host name) Right after this line, it gives me the
> "Connection closed by foreign host" error.
>
> I tried configuring the /etc/ssh files. But they are exactly the same
> contents wise, have the same check sums, and sizes as my /etc/ssh files on
> the other 2 functional computers. The sshd1 in /usr/bin and the files in
> /usr/sbin are the same as well. Finally, the sshd daemon in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d is also the same. Am I missing some files? (Config files?)
>
> I have tried reinstalling ssh by:
> a) stopping sshd and reinstalling ssh
> b) stopping sshd and installing ssh manually by installing the
> ssh___.rpm in /usr/src/RedHat/ppc/SRPMS
>
> and the 4 ssh___.rpmin /usr/src/RedHat/ppc/RPMS
>
> Before this problem occurred, I:
> a) Put in an /etc/hosts.equiv file
> b) Altered the /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny files
> c) Commented out rlogin in inet.conf
> That's about it.
>
> Any ideas?

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations and Parallel Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/