Re: [YDL] ppp not supported?

Subject: Re: [YDL] ppp not supported?
From: Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 08:22:00 MDT

>Is it true that the Champion Server 1.0 kernel doesn't support PPP? Do I
>have to recompile the kernel just to get PPP? Without being able to
>connectto a network I can't get any files onto my machine (I was spoiled
by
>netcfg).

As 1 recall. in CS 1.0 the kernel that they tell you to drag to the System
Folder can't do PPP, because the modules that get installed aren't the
right ones for that kernel. The kernel in /boot can do PPP but can't mount
tne CD.

The solution is simple. Get a prebuilt kernel off the net or build your
own. I've been using the 2.2.10 built by Paul Mackarras that I got from
the LinuxPPC site, and it's been working well. There are probably
perfectly good kernels at the YDL site, too.

>-Chris
>Dept of Molecular and Cell Biology "Information wants to be free."
>UC Berkeley * Kane Lab 614 Barker Hall

-------
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com